Max Kaus

Max Kaus

Max Kaus

Max Kaus (*March 11, 1891 in Berlin; †August 5, 1977 in Berlin) was a German painter, graphic artist, and deputy director of the Hochschule für Bildende Künste Berlin, which has operated as the Universität der Künste Berlin since 1975. He was an important representative of German modernism.

Max Kaus’ Early Work

Kaus began his artistic training in 1905 with an apprenticeship as a painter. As this was not enough for him, he began training as a decorative painter at the Kunstgewerbeschule Berlin in 1908.

Kaus volunteered as a medic for three years during World War I, where he met Otto Herbig and Erich Heckel, among others. Inspired by Heckel’s work, he produced several woodcuts and lithographs. Erich Heckel quickly developed into Kaus’ artistic and personal role model.
After the war, Kaus joined the Freie Secession artists’ group in Berlin in 1920, where he met Otto Mueller and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff. As part of the artists’ group, his works were exhibited regularly.
Three years later he married Gertrud Kant, known as Turu. In 1926, Kaus began teaching landscape painting, as well as life and animal drawing, at the Meisterschule für das Kunsthandwerk in Berlin. One year later, he was awarded the Alfred Dürer Prize of the City of Nuremberg. This prize was followed by the Deutscher Künstlerbund’s Günther Wagner Prize in 1928 and the Deutscher Künstlerbund’s Villa Romana Prize in 1929.
During the 1930s, he created many landscapes inspired by his travels within Germany as well as to Austria and Italy. In 1935, Kaus became a teacher of figurative painting at the Vereinigte Staatsschulen in Berlin. In the same year the artist participated in the Venice Biennale.

Max Kaus: “Degenerate” Artist

Once the National Socialists seized power, Max Kaus’ artistic work became increasingly restricted. In 1937, all of the artist’s works were removed from German museums. The following year, he had to resign from his teaching position. During the Second World War, his studio in Berlin was completely destroyed. After the death of his wife in 1944, Kaus married Brigitte Kramm in the same year.

Max Kaus (*March 11, 1891 in Berlin; †August 5, 1977 in Berlin) was a German painter, graphic artist, and deputy director of the Hochschule für Bildende Künste Berlin, which has operated as the Universität der Künste Berlin since 1975. He was an important representative of German modernism.

Max Kaus’ Early Work

Kaus began his artistic training in 1905 with an apprenticeship as a painter. As this was not enough for him, he began training as a decorative painter at the Kunstgewerbeschule Berlin in 1908.

Kaus volunteered as a medic for three years during World War I, where he met Otto Herbig and Erich Heckel, among others. Inspired by Heckel’s work, he produced several woodcuts and lithographs. Erich Heckel quickly developed into Kaus’ artistic and personal role model.
After the war, Kaus joined the Freie Secession artists’ group in Berlin in 1920, where he met Otto Mueller and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff. As part of the artists’ group, his works were exhibited regularly.
Three years later he married Gertrud Kant, known as Turu. In 1926, Kaus began teaching landscape painting, as well as life and animal drawing, at the Meisterschule für das Kunsthandwerk in Berlin. One year later, he was awarded the Alfred Dürer Prize of the City of Nuremberg. This prize was followed by the Deutscher Künstlerbund’s Günther Wagner Prize in 1928 and the Deutscher Künstlerbund’s Villa Romana Prize in 1929.
During the 1930s, he created many landscapes inspired by his travels within Germany as well as to Austria and Italy. In 1935, Kaus became a teacher of figurative painting at the Vereinigte Staatsschulen in Berlin. In the same year the artist participated in the Venice Biennale.

Max Kaus (*March 11, 1891 in Berlin; †August 5, 1977 in Berlin) was a German painter, graphic artist, and deputy director of the Hochschule für Bildende Künste Berlin, which has operated as the Universität der Künste Berlin since 1975. He was an important representative of German modernism.

Max Kaus’ Early Work

Kaus began his artistic training in 1905 with an apprenticeship as a painter. As this was not enough for him, he began training as a decorative painter at the Kunstgewerbeschule Berlin in 1908.

Kaus volunteered as a medic for three years during World War I, where he met Otto Herbig and Erich Heckel, among others. Inspired by Heckel’s work, he produced several woodcuts and lithographs. Erich Heckel quickly developed into Kaus’ artistic and personal role model.
After the war, Kaus joined the Freie Secession artists’ group in Berlin in 1920, where he met Otto Mueller and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff. As part of the artists’ group, his works were exhibited regularly.

Shortly before the end of the war, the artist was drafted into the Volkssturm. After having survived this and the end of the war, he received a teaching position at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Berlin, which he would hold until 1968.

Three years later he divorced Brigitte Kaus.

 

Max Kaus: “Degenerate” Artist

Once the National Socialists seized power, Max Kaus’ artistic work became increasingly restricted. In 1937, all of the artist’s works were removed from German museums. The following year, he had to resign from his teaching position. During the Second World War, his studio in Berlin was completely destroyed. After the death of his wife in 1944, Kaus married Brigitte Kramm in the same year.

Shortly before the end of the war, the artist was drafted into the Volkssturm. After having survived this and the end of the war, he received a teaching position at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Berlin, which he would hold until 1968.

Three years later he divorced Brigitte Kaus.


Three years later he married Gertrud Kant, known as Turu. In 1926, Kaus began teaching landscape painting, as well as life and animal drawing, at the Meisterschule für das Kunsthandwerk in Berlin. One year later, he was awarded the Alfred Dürer Prize of the City of Nuremberg. This prize was followed by the Deutscher Künstlerbund’s Günther Wagner Prize in 1928 and the Deutscher Künstlerbund’s Villa Romana Prize in 1929.
During the 1930s, he created many landscapes inspired by his travels within Germany as well as to Austria and Italy. In 1935, Kaus became a teacher of figurative painting at the Vereinigte Staatsschulen in Berlin. In the same year the artist participated in the Venice Biennale.

Max Kaus: “Degenerate” Artist


Once the National Socialists seized power, Max Kaus’ artistic work became increasingly restricted. In 1937, all of the artist’s works were removed from German museums. The following year, he had to resign from his teaching position. During the Second World War, his studio in Berlin was completely destroyed. After the death of his wife in 1944, Kaus married Brigitte Kramm in the same year.

Shortly before the end of the war, the artist was drafted into the Volkssturm. After having survived this and the end of the war, he received a teaching position at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Berlin, which he would hold until 1968.

Three years later he divorced Brigitte Kaus.

In 1949 Max Kaus was appointed as a professor at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste. Kaus became deputy director of the institution in 1953, alongside Karl Hofer. He married Sigrid Reinke in the same year. Two years later Kaus became a member of the Akademie der Künste in Berlin. Kaus was a guest of honor at the Villa Massimo in Rome in 1959. In 1963 he was awarded the Berlin Art Prize, which is awarded annually by the Akademie der Künste on behalf of the Berlin Senate. Max Kaus died in Berlin on August 5, 1977.

Stylistically, Kaus’ work leaned toward German Expressionism, inspired among others by his friend and mentor Erich Henkel. Artistically, he belongs to the second generation of Expressionists. Unlike many other Expressionists, however, Kaus spent little time painting outdoors. Max Kaus’ paintings produced after the Second World War seem like an attempt to reassemble the shards of a broken world. His final creative period is characterized by depictions of Rome, portraits and still lifes.

1891 — Born March 11th in Berlin.
1908—13 — Education as a decorative painter at the Kunstgewerbeschule,
Berlin-Charlottenburg.
1915-18 — War service as an ambulanceman.
1920 — Member of the “Freie Secession”, Berlin.
1923 — Marriage with Gertrud (Turu) Kant.
1926 — teacher for nude and animal drawing at the master school of crafts, Berlin.
1927 — Albrecht Dürer Prize of the City of Nuremberg.
1928 — Günther Wagner Prize of the German Artists’ Union. Member of the German Artists’ Assocation.
1929 — Villa Romana Prize of the German Artists’ Association.
1935 — Teacher for figural painting at the United State Schools, Berlin. Participation at the Venice Biennale.
1937 — His paintings are removed from German museums.
1938 — retirement of teaching activity.
1943 — Destruction of his Berlin studio.
1944 — Death of Mrs. Turu. Marriage with Brigitte Kramm.
1945 — Teacher at the College of Fine Arts, Berlin.
1948 — Divorce from Brigitte Kaus.
1949—1968 — professorship at the Academy of Fine Arts, Berlin.
1953 — Deputy Director at the College of Fine Arts, Berlin. Marriage with Sigrid Reinke.
1955 — Member of the Academy of Arts, Berlin.
1959 — guest of honour of Villa Massimo, Rome.
1963 — Berlin art prize.
1977 — dies August 5th in Berlin.

© Copyright Galerie Utermann 2020

© Copyright Galerie Utermann 2020

© Copyright Galerie Utermann 2020

Galerie Utermann, Silberstraße 22, 44137 Dortmund

Galerie Utermann, Silberstraße 22, 44137 Dortmund

Galerie Utermann, Silberstraße 22, 44137 Dortmund